FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - End of the road for UK-based elites?
View Single Post
Old Aug 14, 2021, 1:27 pm
flyerCO
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
You're absolutely right, that should have been $2k.

Living in the United States, you have the option of requalifying by credit card spending, an option that AA actively decided to remove from us. You also have the option of stepping on a 4,243-mile domestic flight. Here, the longest domestic flight is 444 miles. International travel to a handful of leisure destinations is currently allowed, but subject to change at any moment from either country's side, incurring risk of having to quarantine for 10 days upon return. Thus, going on even a single leisure trip around here right now is risky if you have a job you need to get back to. The risk of booking multiple such trips would not be sane from my perspective.

The way I view it, the main point of my business relationship with American over the last several years has been that I buy a lot of tickets from them, and they provide me some benefits in return. During the recent period, still ongoing, when it has not been legally possible for me to travel with them (or indeed with anybody), they also have not had to provide me with any benefits (not even mailing me a physical card). I don't personally find it it an unreasonable proposition to freeze this relationship until AA is legally able to transport me again. Me making risky and unnecessary mileage runs outside of the transatlantic partnership with partner airlines who would pay AA a few $$ for the miles I would earn and charge them a few $$ for giving me lounge access would not, as far as I can see, benefit AA in any proportionately meaningful way.
AA allows you to earn status by flying 100% on partners. This was true preCV19 and is true now. Just because you dont want to fly on those partners right now is much different from you can't fly them. You've decided your risk of getting stuck outside UK isn't worth it. While I feel this is an unlikely to happen thing, if that's how you feel, that's a personal choice. Now that you've made a personal choice you're expecting AA to cater to that choice despite millions of others having flown with no issue, plus no reasonable basis for AA to assume your issue will occur in future.