FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AA cancelled my flight just a few hours before flight...
Old Aug 7, 2021, 8:43 am
Sinead2000

AA cancelled my flight just a few hours before flight...

Hello,
My husband and I were supposed to fly from SRQ-DFW-LAS on July 31. We checked in at the airport and checked one bag ($30US). About an hour later, AA cancelled the flight, citing "no crew". Without consultation they booked me on a flight the next day. I told the desk that I did not agree to the change and requested either a) she put us on a later same day flight, or b) issue a refund, or c) put us on another carrier (i.e. Delta or Southwest who had same day flights to LAS). The woman at the desk told me the only way to get to get to LAS was to purchase another flight from another carrier.

Needing to get to LAS that day, I went to the Delta counter. When I explained the situation, the Delta agent told me to tell AA to "send the ticket over" or something to that effect. I told this to the AA agent, who told me my ticket was nonrefundable and that she wouldn't do that because I wasn't a first class passenger. Long story short...she was very rude (so much so in fact, that another AA agent came out from behind the desk later to apologize to me for her colleague's conduct). We retrieved our bag and purchased tickets on Delta.

We are out the value of our ticket, the $30US fee for the checked bag, and one of our seat selections. For some reason, AA refunded one of the seat selection fees.

If you've read this far...thank you! I know that to phone AA, I will be on hold for a very long time, so I am wondering if someone can give me some advice as to what my options are. I cannot believe that my only option was to accept another flight on a completely different day. Any assistance you can provide is greatly appreciated (btw- I booked the ticket through Expedia.)

Thanks very much in advance,

Sinead