FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - GUIDE to Trip Credit, Flight Credit, Travel Voucher, Gift Card, Refund
Old Jul 28, 2021, 5:01 pm
bethwl

Programs: AA, United, Delta
I've tried to read through this thread and use the search but haven't seen this particular situation; I have 4 flight credits (2 in my name, 2 in my daughter's name) from March-April 2020. For some reason the flight credit for one leg of these trips is $215.45 when I look it up by ticket number; but the actual cash value of what I originally paid was $179.48. If I look up the ticket number on the refunds page, it says "eligible for review," which if a refund was awarded would be $179.48 x 2 people refunded. The flight credit value of these two ticket numbers is $215.45 x2. For the other leg of this trip, the flight credit is $170.28 per person; the "refund" value is only $16.48 because this was already changed from the original booking due to Covid; it was changed unilaterally by AA, not me. I am fairly certain that all flights associated with the itinerary were cancelled.

I called AA Reservations hoping to use both flight credits on a new trip that I need to book for September (taking said daughter to college). They told me that I could not do this--despite the website saying "to use two flight credits call Reservations." They say this is because that one of the two flight credits per person involved an international flight (Montreal-Chicago). My question is would I be able to get a full refund for the flight that was $179.48 per person and use the $170.28 per person flight credit to maximize my savings here? Will Reservations tell me for sure if my refund request will be honored even though the airline gave me flight credit (this was March 2020; at the time they weren't offering refunds for cancelled flights, just saying "don't worry your ticket value is safe.") Even though they gave me flight credit, the flight was cancelled--would they not be obligated to honor the refund per DOT?