FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which is safer, hotel or Airbnb?
View Single Post
Old Jul 28, 2021, 3:56 am
SherlockMiles

Programs: Iberia
Originally Posted by DrRodneyMcKay
Some hotels are probably just blowing hot air about increased sanitation standards and housekeeping doesn't even wipe down surfaces (which, if it's a huge hotel and you have underpaid housekeeping staff who have to get through hundreds of rooms, would you be surprised?) I would go with an AirBnB personally just because I'd be sharing less "airspace" with other people, and would bring my own wipes to wipe down commonly used surfaces.
Interesting thread. If I was a housekeeper/maid/cleaner in a hotel and was faced with a twin room (two sheets, two duvet covers, four pillowcases) which had only had one guest, I am not sure I would always change each of those things. Looking on some of the AMA posts on reddit, it seems that housekeeping do indeed only change what looks dirty, and especially will just "fluff up" pillows if they look clean.

An Airbnb could be better or worse than that, and I have stayed in Airbnbs with the odd suspicious hair on the sheets. Could it be a hair from the cleaner when the clean sheet was put on? Or from a previous guest?

I remember staying in youth hostels where you had to strip your bed on check out, and when checking in you are given fresh sheets to put on. Maybe that's the way to do it to be sure!