FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Green passport" enforced from Aug 8. How can US citizens get one?
Old Jul 25, 2021, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by yngdiego
Yes that's exactly it. I'm still in the window where I can cancel most of my Italian plans and get refunds. But I really want to go, and if the CDC card is sufficient for entry into everything I'll go. Feedback I've gotten from the France forum is that the CDC card IS widely accepted with smiles there. So I'm hoping Italy is equally welcoming.
Frankly it's all quite confusing. I had a read through the decree and I had a browse through articles in the press and it's mentioned that, at least until August 12th, paper certificates will still be valid. It doesn't help either that the decree refers to another set of guidelines that haven't been published yet.

I understand why they're doing this (drive up vaccinations - and it's working) but it's all quite confusing. Right now Americans are allowed in the country with a CDC card and a test at most (btw it'd be lovely if uncle Joe returned the favour, but alas translatlantic relations are very often a one-way street) and I don't think this will change in future. It'd be senseless to allow them in with a card but then not let them go anywhere. As always, time will tell.