FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Elite Upgrades Discussion Thread
Old Jul 22, 2021, 10:17 pm
amrando

Elite status Room Upgrades policy?

hi all- just wondering if there is a network-wide, chain-wide or just local discretionary policy regarding the availability of room upgrades with status. I have been staying intermittently throughout the last year of COVID at some sites in various regions, and have noticed despite Elite status and the hotels basically empty, roughly ~50% of the time I'm not getting any upgrade at all. Sometimes they try to make a big deal of it, and sometimes it's literally not even acknowledged at checkin. There doesn't seem to be any consistency, and I would have expected that if I'm one of maybe 10 customers in the entire hotel, you're going to make a greater effort. Instead, the response has been multiple days without housekeeping and completely closed amenities and services. I understand the reasons for some of it, but you're still open, and you're still in the service industry. Put in more effort than simply turning the lights on.

Frankly, with travel ramping back up (and having over 7 weeks of vacation due now, thanks to having none at all last year) I'm inclined to book strategically at the locations or Marriott chains that have tried to make members feel welcome when we were there in the last year while the general public wasn't..