FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Transitting Through Schiphol
View Single Post
Old Jul 17, 2021, 9:18 am
Mountain Explorer

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by andrewk829
Just a few thoughts about AMS (I just flew yesterday Kyiv-Amsterdam-Seattle [KBP-AMS-SEA]).

1. I do not understand why so many Europe-bound itineraries offered by Delta/ KLM feature dangerously tight connections in Amsterdam. So many itineraries have 50, 55, 60, 65 minute connections. It's enough time if (and that's a big if) the AMS-bound flight is on-time, but leaves little margin for error. I've had a few times where I made the connection but my baggage did not. I wonder why Delta and KLM can't better coordinate schedules; I'd feel a lot better with a 2-hour layover. And with a 2-hour layover, if everything is on time, you can squeeze in a short visit to the Lounge, including, possibly, a shower that will feel good after a transAtlantic flight.

2. I also don't get why transfer passengers coming to AMS from the U.S. do not need to re-clear Security, but passengers from certain other destinations do (as, yesterday, coming from Kyiv). Is this a commentary about reliability of security screening at U.S. airports versus other countries' airports?

3. Give a choice between connecting in AMS vs. CDG, I'd always choose AMS. CDG is subject to labor actions, and in any case AMS is just a nicer airport.
These really don't seem that baffling to me.

1. For high-value customers, travel time matters. Some other airline might offer a non-stop between some city pair, while DL/KLM require a stop. Therefore, to be competitive, they keep the stop as short as possible. It sounds like you've experienced extremely unusual bad luck. Most intercontinental flights, in my experience, arrive a bit early. On-time arrival should not be a "big if". Your comment about why DL and KLM can't coordinate makes no sense. The 1-hour connection is intentional and they achieved that by careful coordination. That is plenty of time for a bag to be moved from one plane to the other.

2. Umm yes, airport security in the US is considered more robust than that in Ukraine. Whether it really is or not, I have no clue, but surely you can understand why that perception might exist.

3. Ya, I prefer AMS too