FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Transitting Through Schiphol
View Single Post
Old Jul 17, 2021, 8:55 am
andrewk829

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more
Just a few thoughts about AMS (I just flew yesterday Kyiv-Amsterdam-Seattle [KBP-AMS-SEA]).

1. I do not understand why so many Europe-bound itineraries offered by Delta/ KLM feature dangerously tight connections in Amsterdam. So many itineraries have 50, 55, 60, 65 minute connections. It's enough time if (and that's a big if) the AMS-bound flight is on-time, but leaves little margin for error. I've had a few times where I made the connection but my baggage did not. I wonder why Delta and KLM can't better coordinate schedules; I'd feel a lot better with a 2-hour layover. And with a 2-hour layover, if everything is on time, you can squeeze in a short visit to the Lounge, including, possibly, a shower that will feel good after a transAtlantic flight.

2. I also don't get why transfer passengers coming to AMS from the U.S. do not need to re-clear Security, but passengers from certain other destinations do (as, yesterday, coming from Kyiv). Is this a commentary about reliability of security screening at U.S. airports versus other countries' airports?

3. Give a choice between connecting in AMS vs. CDG, I'd always choose AMS. CDG is subject to labor actions, and in any case AMS is just a nicer airport.