FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - London fares and how they're looking...
View Single Post
Old Jul 10, 2021, 11:09 am
wingnuthead

Programs: Lifetime AA Plat, UA status-less after 15 years
Funny, my original post was probably more of an exploration of what role Jet Blue expects to play over the atlantic... Pre pandemic, we had tons of fare options to get across the ocean and into Europe. The carnage to the network carriers was pretty bad, but the non network carriers (ie, the discounters) was horrible, which removed any actual competition over the ocean between the US and EU. Say what you want about the old Norwegian, but they were always putting downward pressure on the bloated sovereign/network carriers for transatlantic carriage. We started using them often when their premium economy offering was literally 50-70% less than everyone else, and the product was perfectly fine.

Was so excited to see Jet Blue entering transatlantic carriage, hoping they would put competitive pressure on the old school sovereign/network carriers crazy fares. I think sfozrhfco makes a good point, which is that we really won't have any real view of how this will develop until the pandemic based deep reduction in total number of seats over the ocean starts to fade, and most of the carriers resume some form of high volume schedule. Heck, there used to be like 40 flights a day between just LON-NYC on a dozen carriers pre pandemic. If I needed to get to the UK on short notice, I could almost just drive to most of the airports in the NY area and jump on the next flight out.

I'm hoping that Jet Blue can build a real transatlantic business, and find a following. Heck, for leisure travel with our large family (lots O' people), Gatwick is terrific as a gateway to the EU with Easyjet being there as a base. So I guess we'll see how it plays out.....