FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Zealand’s response to Covid-19 [was Soft closing of NZ Border]
Old Jul 7, 2021, 8:52 pm
kiwifrequentflyer

Programs: Air NZ Elite
Originally Posted by Croupier
Has anyone got any real world experience with MIQ as in successfully getting a spot and then successfully getting their booked flight to stick without getting bumped or forced to pay huge amounts to upgrade to J or F in order actually get home?

Are any airlines safer than others?
Should I avoid QR as they stop in BNE?
I will be flying from Europe so it looks like SQ, EK and QR are my options.

Thanks.
I have many friends who have flown back home. All of their flights stuck and they flew in economy. They all had to book MIQ months in advance. Last month my friend decided to come home from England and the closest MIQ time slot she could get was late October.

Most flights get bumped because they transit through countries that close to the country you are flying out of. To maximise the chances of getting home it is smart to limit transit locations to a single transit country and to pick a country unlikely to close to outside countries.

For example right now if I was flying home from England I would be looking to transit through Dubai rather than Singapore. Dubai have embraced covid much more so than Singapore.