FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Master thread Air Canada Refunds vs credits; Class action lawsuit filed
Old Jul 1, 2021, 3:52 pm
bocastephen
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by seawolf
Didn’t read the whole thing but it sounds like a rehash of AC’s response to passenger filed complaint (discussed earlier in this thread) that DoT’s Industry Letter is not binding as it didn’t go thru rule making process (APA). DoT had fully authority for decades (not just years) under various Republican and Democratic Administrations to prohibit the the practice frowned upon in the Letter with explicit regulations but choose not to.

If AC loses, other airlines are not going to be happy with them.

I was worried a couple of months ago when AC started providing refunds that the resolution is anticlimactic but sounds like I should be making some popcorn.
Make a big bucket with extra butter, this is going to get good - especially given the DOT industry letter was a significant primer for the CC issuer telling AC to go pound sand when it sided with my client's charge back. It's an odd position to take given AC's reputation for dealing with this issue from the get-go and being strong-armed into giving the refunds by the Canadian govt, something they never would have done voluntarily. It's also a strange position to take when you're a foreign airline whose access to the US market can be affected by the very DOT whose belly you're poking.