FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA personal Platinum annual fee increase to $695, July 2021.
Old Jul 1, 2021, 1:48 am
synzero

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Originally Posted by WasKnown
To each their own. I heavily disagree with you valuing these credits at face.

Greg from frequent miler does a better job of explaining this than I can:

I recommend looking at each of the annual credits and major perks and asking yourself: if I could pay separately for a subscription to this thing, how much would I pay? The answer should never be face value: you would never pay $240 in advance to get $240 in entertainment credits spread out $20 per month, would you? I hope not. You’d only pay in advance if you could get a substantial discount.

I also agree with how he discounts the credits https://frequentmiler.com/the-revise...ls-and-review/

Uber doesn’t value it’s prepaid gift cards at face value. The Amex Platinum provides credits that are strictly worse than even normal Uber gift cards. If they won’t value it at face, I won’t either.
You clearly didn't read my post (which is fine, you're under no obligation to do so), but I already changed my valuation of the entertainment credit to $0.

As for Uber you've mentioned multiple times the gift cards are discounted 15% - where? I don't see any easily accessible public offer for that. If you mean a physical gift card then it's useless to me, I'm not going to go out of my way to buy a physical gift card.

As for the post you linked to, he values the Uber credit at $100 because he says he doesn't use Uber that much. He doesn't mention anything about the 15% discount you have mentioned.

He's also wrong that the airline credit is gone: it is staying, so that doesn't factor into his calculation.