FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Scotland – 12 days in Inverness, Skye, Outer Hebrides, St.Kilda & NC500
Old Jun 30, 2021, 11:41 am
shefgab

Programs: BAEC
Day Four – Fort William to Skye, with Glenfinnan Viaduct

Day four dawned cooler and cloudier than the last few days, and I had to dig my trousers out of my bag. Today’s goal was the Glenfinnan Viaduct, better known as the viaduct shown in the Harry Potter movies. There’s a twice daily Jacobite Steam Train that goes over the viaduct on the Fort William to Mallaig line. When I looked a month or two before the trip it was already sold out of the day, despite tickets going for £49 in standard class (£69 in First). As such, we bought a return ticket on one of the four daily normal trains for £7 return.

Ben Nevis in the background

The viaduct from the train

We had 2 hours before our train back to Fort William – there’s a great circular walk that goes along by the viaduct, and then down to Loch Shiel.

When we were waiting for the train back to Fort William, the Jacobite passed through. The passengers onboard didn’t look overly excited. Speaking to a friend about it later he confirmed it was a big rip off. The best thing I would advise is to time your scenic walk to see the steam train going over the viaduct to get the best “Harry Potter Experience”.

Once back in Fort William we headed to M&S for a picnic lunch, and then down the road to Mallaig for the ferry to Skye.

With time to spare before the ferry, we took the scenic route along the coast, and managed to stumble across the gorgeous Silver Sands of Morar.

Mallaig is the terminus for the Jacobite steam train, and the port for the short crossing to the Isle of Skye. Cal Mac ferries run six or so daily ferries to Skye. Due to Covid, we were instructed to stay in our cars for the 45 minutes crossing. I managed to get a photos on the crossing whilst en route to the loo.

Welcome to Skye!

We checked into our cute B&B, and went to meet our friends for a nightcap.