FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - If you had to go west coast - CVG via red-eye, what would you choose?
Old Jun 29, 2021, 11:18 am
ATOBTTR
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by El Boocho
I don't think there is much protection on any carrier. Sure, they might get you there, but it will be too late, likely much too late. Given the constraints, significant delays or a misconnect and you are SOL, regardless of how it is booked.
True - but I did address that. I was merely saying that if the OP's ultimate destination is Cincinnati, regardless if OP is late or misses this meeting (such as if OP misses this meeting but OP has other business later in the day/week in Cincinnati), the single ticket on F9 would eventually get OP to Cincinnati in the event of IROPS. I would presume the DL LAX-LAS/LAS-CVG tickets would also get OP to Cincinnati. If on AA or B6 or WN to LAS and OP experiences IROPS in LAX, that airline is only obligated to get OP to LAS, not CVG. And OP would then have to buy a new option to get to CVG.

Originally Posted by El Boocho
The best protection would be to have 2 discrete paths. Assuming it is very important to the OP to be in person for a Sunday 8am meeting, I'd do the connection at LAS via AA/B6/WN then on to DL as a primary, but buy the LAX-IND ticket as a back up. With no change fees, if you cancel, you have a full credit to use and are only giving DL a short term small interest free loan. If LAX-LAS goes sideways you'll have time to jump to the much later LAX-IND flight.
The problem with this scenario is DL may see both LAX-IND and LAS-CVG bookings for the same date/times and then cancel one or both of the tickets due to being conflicting tickets (this also violates program rules). OP's other option in this scenario would be if he/she gets to LAX and there are delays that would cause OP to not arrive in LAS in time for LAS-CVG, OP could cancel LAS-CVG and then apply the value as a credit towards LAX-IND but this would be subject to availability and to the walk-up fare pricing.