FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - If you had to go west coast - CVG via red-eye, what would you choose?
Old Jun 29, 2021, 10:50 am
ATOBTTR
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by wakesetter93
If I'm the OP, there is now way I'm going to take a connection on Frontier over the options listed on mainline carriers through LAS. I'd book the earliest flight to LAS that you can reasonably make and then take the DL LAS-CVG redeye.
While I would probably opt for the same option you would if I found myself in this scenario, I was simply providing OP a set of possible options that would meet the strict criteria OP has laid out. With little flexibility in the parameters, sometimes beggars can't be choosers and in this scenario, there is no "perfect" option since each of the possible options has its own cons. Even in my preferred scenario (taking AA or B6 up to LAS then the DL redeye to LAS), the risk here is that OP is not protected in terms of getting to CVG from LAS if he runs into issues on LAX-LAS on another carrier. On the F9 BUR/SNA-LAS-CVG option, OP would at least be fully protected and eventually make it to Cincinnati by F9, even if late for the meeting. OP could also do DL LAX-LAS and then LAS-CVG but 44 min is a tight window (though certainly manageable if things run on time) and at least DL would (most likely) protect OP onward to Cincinnati even if he/she ran into issues on LAX-LAS, unless DL looked at the tickets and determined these tickets somehow violated some rule by not permitting enough time or something.

It's ultimately up to the OP to decide which of the non-perfect available options he/she prefers to take based on the pros and cons of each option available.