FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Inbound to Hong Kong COVID-19 Quarantine & Restrictions
Old Jun 28, 2021, 5:40 pm
percysmith
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by jckl
The world will move on and accept that people will continue to be infected as long as hospitals can cope, life can carry on. But HK and countries that are obsessed with 0 infection rates will be stuck in this cycle of banned list, ridiculous quarantine and closed borders.
Originally Posted by tcook052
I asked earlier in this thread how long Australia could keep its self-imposed global isolation with hard border closures and the linked article gives some indication that it could be another 18 months away.

Australian officials have said they hope to reach herd immunity -- the point at which about 80% of the population is vaccinated -- before reopening its borders. Prime Minister Morrison earlier said that may not be until mid-2022. More recently, he was even unable to commit to a Christmas 2022 reopening.

Hard to imagine any country in modern times being effectively closed to the world for what could prove to be 3-years.
(Not my preference but what I predict will happen) why can't they? Those communities who can lock themselves down will continue to do so. Therefore, no reopening for years until Covid vaccines get as much data points as MMR and/or they suffer enough outbreaks to get sufficient people vaccinated.