FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Corporate Preferred (upgrade tiebreaker) / new 'preferred' seating section
Old Jun 23, 2021, 1:26 pm
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hoopsbwc34
I haven’t flown United for years, but used to have status for a short period of time. I don’t have a United credit card and bought an economy ticket (E) but got priority boarding in Group 2. I do have TSA preCheck, is that why I was in priority boarding? Or is this just a random thing United does once in a while?

I’m interested because it’s one reason I don’t fly United more often, without status I’m unlikely to get a spot for my bag in the overhead boarding in Group 5.
Could be an error, could be a 'surprise and delight' thing that has been reported here sporadically (although mostly by elites, based on my observations). Did you used to have a United card? Did someone use their card to pay? Precheck should absolutely have zero effect on which boarding group you get.

Also, boarding group you get, without status, is going to be based on your seat type. Group 5 is going to be for aisle seats. If you are in a window, that would give you group 3, so a better chance at the overhead.