FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Can a US immigrant with I-551 stamp enter Canada?
Old Jun 23, 2021, 10:31 am
mvoight
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
No, sorry, but the correct moral of the story: if you need advice about anything concerning immigration, ask your own immigration attorney. Would you ask the IRS a tax question?

In general, but as pointed out in my recent Immigration CLE ("continuing legal education" for attorneys) class, it is possible for lawful permanent residents ("green card holders") to stay outside the U.S. for longer than six months if proper arrangements are made. See an immigration attorney.

I am a lawyer. I refer immigration matters to other lawyers who concentrate their practices in this field.
It should be clarified the OP's wife and others who enter the US on an immigration visa, are permanent residents as soon as they enter the US and get that Visa stamped with an I-551 (ADIT) stamp
The discussion about someone getting refused was because they had applied for an adjustment of status and had NOT entered the US on an immigrant visa. I will also point out, a fiance visa (up to 90 days to get married) is NOT an immigrant visa.
That person would have to file for adjustment of status after marriage and would need advanced parole while waiting.