FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [OVER 48 HOURS FROM DEPARTURE] AC changed/cancelled my flight. What are my options?
Old Jun 17, 2021, 5:48 am
capedreamer

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
The international tariff was revised effective June 3, 2021 and sets a 3-hour limit as the threshold for refunds, in the event of a schedule change outside the airline's control (which is every single change since COVID started, as far as AC is concerned ). For re-booking (whether within or outside of the airline's control) or refunds for changes within the airline's control, it only says re-booking must be done in accordance with APPR. The domestic tariff (revised effective April 29, 2021) doesn't even have the 3-hour threshold, it's just APPR all around.

Because APPR is a frigging joke that was meant to cover day-of-travel delays and cancellations, it offers very little protection in this area.

Here is the relevant page from the APPR website. I've excerpted the key text below within the spoiler feature to keep the size manageable. All bold is from the original. I have added the italics to distinguish the text from the APPR site, but not used the quote feature so that it will be included in quotes when others reply to this post.

Spoiler

The bottom line, in your case, is that you could try to refuse the new routing and request a new one because the one they've offered is not "reasonable", but APPR does not define what's reasonable. This is a huge downgrade from the old AC tariffs.

As for whether she was doing you a favour, not necessarily, but it's unclear what internal guidelines AC has set to allow agents to determine what will be "reasonable" under APPR. If they have set a 3-hour limit, that's bloody awful.
Thanks for this! Very helpful.