FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [OVER 48 HOURS FROM DEPARTURE] AC changed/cancelled my flight. What are my options?
Old Jun 16, 2021, 10:34 pm
Adam Smith
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by capedreamer
AC cancelled one of my flights and booked me on an alternate 2 hours 40 minutes earlier. I didn't like the new time but also wasn't ready to pick an alternate yet, so I called in and the Concierge agent I spoke to at the time said he'll leave a note that I can choose a different flight at a later date once I'm ready.

A couple days later, the system apparently took my silence as acceptance of the automatic rebooked flight. Now I just called back in to try to change the flight to one day later, and the agent I'm speaking to now is saying that involuntary schedule changes under 3 hours in different does not entitle passengers to a date change free of charge. She does not care for the note by her colleague.

Is this a new rule?

EDIT: The agent ultimately allowed me to make the change but made it a point to let me know she was making an exception and doing me a huge favour.
The international tariff was revised effective June 3, 2021 and sets a 3-hour limit as the threshold for refunds, in the event of a schedule change outside the airline's control (which is every single change since COVID started, as far as AC is concerned ). For re-booking (whether within or outside of the airline's control) or refunds for changes within the airline's control, it only says re-booking must be done in accordance with APPR. The domestic tariff (revised effective April 29, 2021) doesn't even have the 3-hour threshold, it's just APPR all around.

Because APPR is a frigging joke that was meant to cover day-of-travel delays and cancellations, it offers very little protection in this area.

Here is the relevant page from the APPR website. I've excerpted the key text below within the spoiler feature to keep the size manageable. All bold is from the original. I have added the italics to distinguish the text from the APPR site, but not used the quote feature so that it will be included in quotes when others reply to this post.

Spoiler

The bottom line, in your case, is that you could try to refuse the new routing and request a new one because the one they've offered is not "reasonable", but APPR does not define what's reasonable. This is a huge downgrade from the old AC tariffs.

As for whether she was doing you a favour, not necessarily, but it's unclear what internal guidelines AC has set to allow agents to determine what will be "reasonable" under APPR. If they have set a 3-hour limit, that's bloody awful.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Jun 16, 2021 at 10:40 pm Reason: Fixed formatting