FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Walked as a Globalist
View Single Post
Old Jun 8, 2021, 1:04 am
GrayAnderson

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Walked as a Globalist

Let me start out by saying that Hyatt Corporate handled the following situation quite well and I am broadly pleased with what ultimately shook out...but the underlying situation is still a mess.

This evening (around 8:30 PM), I booked a stay at the Hyatt Place Florence/Downtown. I'd hoped to do this one on points (it's a Category 1 hotel), but no points space was available (which I found odd and called in to do the reservation as a result) so I settled on a Cash+Points reservation. As a note, the "member rate" was $117 (not absurd) and the Cash+Points rate was about $64+2500 points...so there was no clear price signal of a hotel that was about to sell out. [Edit for clarification: Yes, this was booked via an official Hyatt channel (their call center), not through a third party.]

Upon arrival (just before 11:30 PM), I arrived at the hotel, only to be told that the hotel was sold out and that I would have to go to the Hotel Florence (on the neighboring block...a Hilton property) which would observe the rate. As it turns out, the two properties share ownership.

Suffice it to say, I was...less than pleased at this development and promptly called the Globalist number (yes, I'm a Globalist) rather than try to deal with things at the front desk. The initial CSR was quite surprised and escalated me to a supervisor, who was utterly flabbergasted. I noted to her that the website was still offering rooms for sale even though I had just been walked (she confirmed this). She took down some case information and promised to call me back (I gave her the go-ahead to do so despite the hour).

I got a call back; while they couldn't guarantee me having my status benefits honored (e.g. late checkout, which is a significant draw for me with a late-night arrival like this), they gave me 25,000 points as an apology gesture and did promise me that the night would credit as if I'd stayed at the main property (this is primarily relevant for me as far as the current Hyatt promo is concerned). I did make a note that the clerk at the Hilton had noted that both hotels were under shared ownership. Fortunately, I at least have a Hilton account, so the wifi is free, and the parking is free here as well (it was also free at the HP, but I was going to be a bit steamed if I had to shell out for parking as a result of the walk).

As I was walking to my room at the other property, I got a call from the Hyatt Place advising me that "due to a system glitch" they had no more rooms available (I confess that, given the circumstances, I found this to be hilarious). I rather suspect that the night auditor at the Hyatt Place had not had a fun previous half-hour.

I've taken this all in stride, but...boy was that "interesting".

Last edited by GrayAnderson; Jun 8, 2021 at 1:20 am Reason: Specific Clarification