FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Covid PCR Test at IST Airport
View Single Post
Old Jun 7, 2021, 4:33 pm
EqualOpp

Programs: whatever it takes
Just back from Turkey. . I can post some better photographs later of the testing facility / process

When I first checked out the facility after a domestic flight on June 4, they saw my plan and said come back the day off - June 6. Was a little miffed as I wanted to get it over with and I knew I was within the 72 hours (Or 3 calendar days). I tried getting it anyway, but they were having none of that. At least at the BIOTEST window. THere are 2 other companies, but I didn't try.

But I did learn about the quick turnaround times. It was posted as such.

PCR tests - 1.5 hours to process - 300 TL - $35 USD
Antigen - 20 minutes - 175 TL - ~$20 USD

So I got to the airport a little earlier on June 6 and took the Antigen. They were either confused as to whether USA would accept Antigen, whether Doha required a PCR test, and / or trying to upsell me on the PCR...but I insisted on the Antigen. You think they would know with the volume of folks they get....

Did the mouth and nose swab. Nose was a quick poke, not too deep...though it took an hour or so for the feeling to go away. Mouth swab was a bit annoying. I did not ask about a blood test option. I just went with the flow.

Of course I passed as I am now back in the USA. I got a print out which I showed to the Qatar Airways rep - who also made me sign a CDC affirmation that I got a test. Never showed that to anyone in the USA. What bureacracy B/S

All in all...pretty painless. Though if travel volume picks up / when it does, one might have to wait longer to register and the test result itself.

A lot cheaper and easier than the PCR saliva test I got to go to turkey which cost me $105 + $60 24-hour turnaround. (Which in hindsight I would not pay the $60 rush fee. First time "i got suckered" charge.) Plus I had to go to a specific lab which required a drive into Seattle area.

While the US now accepts "telehealth" tests....if you are returning from Turkey (via Istanbul....supposedly other airports have a decent setup - but I can't speak to those), don't bother with that hassle. Other countries YMMV.

EDIT: The 20 minutes passed fast. As I walked down the airport to an airport Burger King for a meal. Yes, I had a US fast food craving after 2+ weeks of not eating any US brand chain restaurants (Except a brief stop to get a decaf coffee / cookie at a Starbucks near Cesme. I resisted Starbucks, BK and McD @ a Sanliurfa mall).

Last edited by EqualOpp; Jun 8, 2021 at 9:57 am