FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Southwest location without the rental car
Old Jun 5, 2021, 4:42 am
synergistic

Originally Posted by danielonn
Fort Lauderdale has a High Speed Rail. In First class you pay $60 to Miami with Alcoholic Drinks and snacks as well as a lounge. Spend a few days in South Beach and you can take the train to Orlando and fly home from there.
As writerguy stated, we most certainly do not have high speed rail here. Even when brightline reopens, to get to Orlando you have to take Amtrak - five hours one train a day, seven hours on the other. Only those two trips in each direction per day. Often freight requires priority on the rail and I've had it take over twelve hours - and it is in no way first class, though you can rent a roomette ($$$ lately, and I believe they killed off dining service on the longer route even before the plague) for additional privacy and comfort.

For travel within Miami and the rest of SE Florida, the metromover and tri-rail are surprisingly convenient (for Florida, anyway) and I don't think I'd ever pay for Brightline down here with that inexpensive option available. I think I paid $3.75 for Fort Lauderdale to Miami last time I took it. It pales in comparison to well developed public transportation service in less sprawling areas, but it is functional and can get you within a reasonably priced Uber/Lyft of most anything down here. I would put the area on the 'technically doable, but not particularly convenient' list for travel without a rental car.