FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Category 1-7 Certificate for 30K points
View Single Post
Old May 31, 2021, 3:02 pm
coleslaw

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
I recently called into the Globalist phone line to reserve a room for 1-night at a Hyatt Place that was a Cat2 property. I asked the rep specifically to apply one of my Cat1-4 Certificates and NOT use the Cat1-7 certificate. My stay was a week ago and now I was reviewing my account activity and notice that the Cat1-7 award night certificate was used instead of the Cat1-4.

I used Twitter to direct message the Hyatt team and they responded within a couple of minutes with the following. "While we're not able to swap out the certificates after it has been redeemed by the hotel, I have credited your account with 30,000 points to cover the cost of the agent error pulling the wrong award when booking your room. You should see those points reflected in your account at this time."

The 30K points posted immediately and I was satisfied with this solution because the certificates have an expiration date and points do not so getting 30K points seemed like a good fix. The only downside I can envision is what if I want to stay at a Cat7 property during Peak season? Starting in July 2021 Hyatt will implement the Off-Peak & Peak point awards redemption which means a Cat7 property during Peak season will require 35K points so I would lose out 5K.

I should have thought of this when I received the Twitter response to see if 35K was a solution given this reason, or do you think that is tacky?
30k is a pretty fair response to the situation.

The points don’t have a fixed expiration date and you now have added flexibility - eg 6 nights at a Cat 1 instead of a single night at a Cat7 - so in my view you are coming away better off than you were before.

What was the expiration date on the Cat7 award that was used?