FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Operational issues: only one ground crew at JFK, etc.
Old May 30, 2021, 12:03 pm
ethernal

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I haven't flown as much post-COVID so this is anecdotal, but I was on a recent flight that felt very un-Delta like. MX issue out of ATL, fire suppression device not functioning properly. They needed a part, they showed it as in inventory, but.. apparently they didn't actually have the part? Captain was very apologetic (originally it was "apologies folks, we'll be half an hour late leaving the gate, we just need a part installed quickly" to "uh, there is no part available even though it shows as available... we'll probably need to deplane."

In fairness to Delta, they did find a plane to swap out and ended up only 2 hours late. But I can't believe they didn't have one spare part in Atlanta - either they literally only were keeping one in stock (at their main TechOps hub!) or their inventory system was so busted they thought they had more.

Having seen Delta pull miracles out of its rear end pre-COVID to keep flights on time, it was disheartening to see such buffoonery I was more accustomed to seeing by United in the 2-3 years post-merger.