FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Basic vs Econo
Thread: Basic vs Econo
View Single Post
Old May 29, 2021, 1:33 pm
SKYEG

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
Originally Posted by YYCguy
Did you request to change seats from the cabin crew once on board? If possible, they seem willing to try to change your seat as a courtesy due to covid 19 when approached politely. It seems this might not be applicable in the future when loads pick up.
Originally Posted by On Time Reports
If your goal is to just simply buy the cheapest domestic ticket where the prices on WS and AC are the same, buying AC is better because
  • Ability to accumulate frequent flyer points/dollars
  • Ability to change seats at check in for free
  • Ability to bid for a upgrade

I’ve also notice all the basic fare people when flying recently. They are always in the back, randomly spread across. Even on near empty flights they are back there in a middle seat. I noticed a family trying to change seats at gate with no success. FA’s allowed people to move after boarding on all my recent flights. Note that most my recent flights have had less than 20-30% load.

I had one flight where premium was completely full, there was a few people in the front Y and the rest were all spread across the back. There were so many empty rows near the front and middle Y that I moved to a full Econ row from premium. WS still does cater to FOTSG, vacation and AC hater types that definitely believe WS is better than AC at the same basic price lol. Most WS flight purchasers will buy basic, so it’s extremely easy to bid upgrade or LMU(at least for now) if you’re purchasing econo. You also can’t receive a complimentary upgrade on a basic fare if you have WS status. You have to buy full Y(econo flex) for silver and gold, and at least econo for platinum members.

On Time Reports is completely spot on. There’s zero incentive to fly WS when it comes down to basic. Fly AC