FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Improving organization in the Air Canada forum - suggestions and assistance solicited
Old May 17, 2021, 3:54 pm
Adam Smith
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Thank you to one member who reached out privately to discuss some moderator actions via PM as opposed to posting in this thread

Originally Posted by 24left
As for threads, we have some decent master threads which often get ignored when people post asking for something. Is it because it's been months since someone posted in one of those threads? Is it because some people prefer to start new threads ( which will eventually get moved/merged to one that already exists?
@24left, you make some good observations about the diversity of those using the forum. The questions asked in the portion of your post that I've quoted above are the types of questions we don't have definitive answers to, and something we hoped to gain some insight in to via this thread. We don't expect any one person to have all the answers either, but by hopefully getting responses from a bunch of people, we can have a larger sample size to work with.

On AC FT where there is more posting activity of meals, we could have new threads with posts from Jan 2020 (just as the Now Times were starting), or some other more recent time frame.

Then there are ongoing topics like meals. We have meal threads for pretty much all the North American and International cabins/classes of service. But then a thread was started in the Now Times, asking if anyone is travelling? Some people posted their food photos there. I don't mind but I prefer to post my menus and meal photos in meal threads to allow for easier search and comparison.

Thanks for the comments around meal threads, which I know are a subject on which you have lots to contribute I agree that the current situation around COVID is a bit messy, as we do have meal posts scattered across a few threads, and that's one of the things I had in mind when asking whether people had suggestions on specific threads. Meals do seem like something that could benefit from being chopped up based on time going forward. You track meals pretty closely. How often do the menus change, and do they carry over year-ends? Just trying to figure out when is the optimal time for the new threads to kick in.

When it comes to the ones we currently have, going back to one of my earlier posts, 2020 might be too early just given the amount of work involved. A more natural break point might be the recent change when plated meals (or "meals on plates", for those who take issue with the first term) were reintroduced, or the beginning of 2021.

Originally Posted by RangerNS
I think its a collective decision (possibly including site admins). If the site wants something, the mods want a different thing, and the top 10 posters do something else, its going to be constant conflict.
@RangerNS Internet Brands wants FT to operate according to the rules that it has set (or that were set, with its blessing, by TalkBoard, or whatever the process was). The moderators have agreed to take on the responsibility of trying to keep FT within those rules. As far as what we (the moderators) want, I think what we're looking for, to borrow a bit from Bentham, is for the forum to have the greatest utility for the greatest number of people (@tcook052 and I haven't had deep philosophical conversations on the subject, but I think our mindset is broadly the same).

How to accomplish that is the tricky part, when we know fairly little about what makes the board useful for many people. We obviously have are own views, which may or may not reflect those of the population at large. There are a fairly small number of users who communicate with the mod team, either by using the alert function to let us know about bad posts, sending us PMs or e-mails, or communicating via other channels. Some of those people are frequent posters on the AC forum, others are not (and many people who post frequently don't communicate with the moderators). But it's not a large number. As outlined in the OP, recently we've received a number of comments that are in a similar vein regarding organization of the forum. We therefore thought that this might be an opportune time to solicit feedback from the board at large, to ensure that we consider a broad variety of opinions on the subject, as opposed to simply those of the people who have reached out to us.

Hence the creation of this thread.

As for it being a "collective decision", I think that depends on how you interpret that phrase. Views will rarely be unanimous on any one item, and it's not possible to hold a vote on every topic and how it should be treated. So in the sense of a direct democracy, no, it's not a collective decision. But in the sense that the moderators don't purport to have all of best ideas and are asking for this feedback (as opposed to simply implementing our own vision), then yes. With the additional caveat that even if there's unanimity on a point, e.g. "the AC forum should have unlimited profanity!", if it violates the rules of FT, it's a no-go.

I don't want the site to be a third party (free!) tech support forum, but there are... transnational... questions. "Can someone with EF check the buckets on ABC-DEF on whenever"; I'm not sure how you could (a) convince noobs (or regulars!) to use the appropriate thread, or how you'd mark something a as question, answer, or resolved, but an active Q&A thread could be a thing. How does one distinguish between a normal question with a clear answer and something that really is a new thing? I don't know, but encouraging the question to start in the transaction thread could be done... somehow.
Some folks (newbies or not) are always going to post new threads, some because they didn't find the information they were looking for, others because they never bothered to look before posting. Other people post questions in the right thread (or start a new one with good reason), but post a question that has been answered only a couple of posts above theirs. I think one of the things we're trying to figure out here is how can we better organize and present information so that we get fewer of those threads/posts because people were better able to find what they needed. That's better for everyone - folks looking for information get it quicker, those reading the threads don't have to read the same question and answer a zillion times, and moderators have less moving, merging, etc to do.

So when you say "an active Q&A thread", is that something like the examples from the AA/AS/UA fora that I mentioned in my last post? Or do you envision something along the lines of @canopus27's split between information threads and discussion threads on a given topic?

I regularly forget there is a wiki functionality. Its not visibly significant. But if we (all!) want to move to "the wiki is the artifact" model for some conversations (e.g., not the transnational ones per above), then some gentle reminders in thread to update the wiki are due. I'm not sure what technology VB has to encourage this.
When you say "not visibly significant", can you clarify? The wiki does appear at the top of each page, at least on desktop. Is it the ability to jump directly to the most recent post of any thread, and infinite scroll on mobile, that mean that you don't see the wikis and therefore forget about them? Or did you mean something else?

Last edited by Adam Smith; May 17, 2021 at 5:29 pm Reason: Clarification