FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Intercontinental Double Bay Sydney (Master Thread)
Old May 17, 2021, 8:05 am
khabah

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by PG.backpacker
I think what they mean is that the InterContinental Double Bay will be rebranded into 1 of the 3 ultra luxury hospitality brands under LVMH (Cheval Blanc, Belmond, or Bvlgary). Of those 3, Belmond seems to have the highest possibility. However, no matter which brand is chosen, it will require a significant investment to upgrade the hotel because as nice as it is, I don't think this hotel is up to the level of those 3 brands.
This makes infinitely more sense. I doubt it'd be a Bulgari unless Marriott got involved since the brand is part of their portfolio, but Belmond makes the most sense. I can only see a Cheval Blanc in a 'best-of-the-best' location, like if they were turning the Opera House itself into a hotel. Agreed on the comment that whatever direction they go in, any brand in their portfolio will most definitely need big bucks thrown at it to take the hotel up to that higher level.

Come to think of it, Belmond was formerly Orient-Express Hotels up until 2014, and they had Sydney's Observatory Hotel as part of their portfolio. That hotel is now The Langham, but it would be nice to see the OE reboot come back to the city.

khabah