FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mainland China airlines transit service from US to SE ASIA
Old May 16, 2021, 7:41 pm
MSPeconomist
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by moondog
The ICN connection is also on my radar from Shanghai. Last time I checked, DL was only operating DTW (not daily) and SEA (daily), and the total travel time between PVG and BOS was ugly. I also looked into KE. This would require an overnight at ICN in my case because ICN-BOS is a morning flight; if I buy through KE (i.e. don't use DL miles), they throw in a hotel.
For TPAC segments to the USA, don't forget to check what KE routes are currently being served. PreCOVID-19 they had a (sometimes twice daily) nonstop to JFK. I always like the longer nonstop flights, so I avoid SEA connections to Asia even though they tend to be much cheaper. [Once during IROPs on MSP-DTW connecting same-day to ICN, I insisted on being rebooked through JFK rather than LAX or SEA for this reason, and DL was willing to give me business class on the KE nonstop JFK-ICN following MSP-JFK in FC on a certificate-upgraded flight, although they weren't able to put me on MSP-NRT-ICN all in business due to seat availability.]

BTW, at ICN I use the GH as my airport hotel which has a reliable and frequent shuttle service to each ICN terminal using separate vehicles, so it's quick. The GH at least used to be associated with KE in that their spa and pool were used as a KE arrivals lounge for some of their passengers. If KE will put you up in the GH for the night, grab it.....or reserve it if you're paying. Many of the "airport" hotels are far from ICN and you may as well go into central Seoul for the night, especially if you can use the train/subway rather than being stuck in traffic.