FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hilton Adelaide {AUS}
View Single Post
Old May 15, 2021, 5:31 am
shillard

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Copy of the review that I just posted on Trip Advisor.

What a let-down.

Ok, so I've stayed in several "COVID-era" Hilton properties in Australia (Sydney, Brisbane, Gold Coast).

This was pretty poor. Even accounting for the SA Government's particularly insane (not as bad as Victoria, but far worse than NSW or Qld) restrictions, the measures come across as weak penny-pinching. But to be fair, I'll start with the good.

GOOD:

- Room service menu is passable - they at least have more than a burger, fish & chips and a pizza available. The steak was actually very decent and (by hotel standards) good value. Nicely done.

- Charles from room service was outstanding as always. This guy is an institution at the hotel and has been happily feeding and watering me for years. 10/10.

- Rooms were (as usual) clean and comfortable.

- Breakfast is served from 6:30 whereas the low-energy types in Sydney can't manage to serve up a bowl of cereal before 7am.

THE BAD:

- Terrible treatment of Diamond members. Both Sydney and Brisbane manage faux-lounge experiences. Adelaide? They'll give you 4 drink vouchers (for rubbish house wine only) and ONE "canapé" voucher. That gets you ONE tiny bird's eye samosa, ONE slice of salmon and ONE dumpling. That's it. That's your food for the evening for a Diamond member (or, presumably, executive room guest). For real. Whilst Sydney and Brisbane manage multiple servings of a variety of hot dishes, Adelaide can't even break out the party pies. Pathetic. ... is that all about? If somebody from the hotel responds with "muh COVID restrictions" they should be dragged out into the nearest paddock and shot.

Worse - good luck getting a seat in the bar area. I stayed Thurs, Fri and Sat nights. Only on Thursday night could I actually make use of my povo vouchers - and only then because I arrived before 5pm and managed to score a table as somebody departed. Both Friday and Saturday nights the staff couldn't help me find a seat ("Sorry we're really busy" - yeah you don't say???) - no provision for elite guests at all. So I obtained faster service by getting an Uber to Haandorf and having dinner at a pub where the staff actually gave a rat's arse.

- So-called "heated" pool is not. They've been peddling this lie for years. Ice cold. Yeah, I get that it's winter but at least be honest with the guests and tell them that the pool is only serviceable in summer.

- No valet service bags in the room. I would have dropped $50+ of laundry, but instead the Park Hyatt in Melbourne with get the business tomorrow night.

- Lounge game was weak - did I mention that? If anyone wants a dozen unused vouchers let me know. Good luck redeeming those - more chance of finding the Beaumont children.

- Booked a boardroom for a meeting. Banquet staff were fine organising it, but for some reason the aircon was set at Mustafar temperature and it took half a dozen attempts to get it to Alderaan temperature.

- WiFi is rubbish. I'm typing this using my 4G dongle because it was taking ages to download anything.

- Water pressure. It's been an issue since my first stay here over a decade ago - but seriously guys, do something about it.

Not sure if the massive water stains on the carpet outside the elevators on level 18 are a good or bad point. I'll leave that up to you, dear reader.

I wonder if Intercontinental are doing a status match?