FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread
Old May 9, 2021, 9:04 pm
JapanFlyerT

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Im a new user
At least it's possible for someone to drive to Tokyo to pick him up. It's worse if someone needs to go to Hokkaido, Okinawa-ken or some remote island if you can't take a flight, train or ferry. How do those people get home? Do they all have to spend 14 days at a hotel?
I thought it would be possible to drive a rental to Hokkaido but I guess you would be breaking the rule by getting on a ferry.

There are approved "private car" rentals run by taxi companies, which are basically expensive taxis that only take one person at a time and require PCR tests.

Okinawa does have direct international flights. I suppose you could hire a "private boat" to take you to a remote island.

Of course, all of these "regulations" are really requests, and people probably fudge all the time. A friend's son came back from the US and was picked up curbside, but he could have easily boarded a highway bus or a train. My son said he knows Japanese uni students who came home, and then were out and about a week later (they left their phones at home). Nowhere near the tight tracking that occurs in Hawaii and Australia.