FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Involuntary Downgrade from First to Club due to change of aircraft.
Old May 8, 2021, 5:05 am
Confus

Originally Posted by RG1X
Is there a workable re-route for LHR -> AUS? I don't really know the route map that well.

Just looking at a map, I'm guessing DFW & HOU? I'm guessing some potential for other places further East too, like Atlanta? The advantage of the first two is if they manage to lose my bike at least I could literally drive to go and get it (as much as that would suck).
You always have to collect luggage at first point of entry into the US. So if you have a connecting itinerary you will physically see your bag at the connecting point. I’ve done this countless times and have never had a problem - and of course you’ll benefit from AA’s clever bag tracer once you hand it over to them. I can’t help but think you’re over-worrying here.

Closure of F on LHRDEN will absolutely allow a rerouting via DFW, BA will have no problem at all with this. You could also choose to go via ORD if you prefer. The reason they don’t allow a change of gateway above 300 miles is because they don’t have to - the relationship with AA allows them to serve all points in the US and get you where you originally wanted to go.