FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Apple Air Tags (Consolidated Threads)
View Single Post
Old May 6, 2021, 1:27 pm
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Yes, because besides tracking it, you can put the lost device (iphone, ipad, ipod, mac) in lost mode (optionally with a message) or remote erase it. And with find my enabled on a device, you can't reset it. So you always have to turn that off before erasing it and selling or trading it in or sending it in for repair.

But you aren't required to turn it on or keep it on, it's just a setting.
Thank you for walking in the direction I desired.

It's settings indeed, but not all iOS setting arrangements -- as set by or incentivized by Apple -- are equal.

It seems like Apple is sort of pushing its customers to be part of a crowdsourced surveillance network almost by default when it comes to the Find My kind of things. And unlike with what Apple does with Apple's Find My things, when it comes to non-Apple apps on the iOS devices -- such as the Tile App -- Apple does more to make it easier and more likely for device users to opt-out of being part of non-Apple crowdsourced surveillance networks.

Seems to me like there is some privacy and anti-stalking hypocrisy coming from Apple when it comes to AirTags given the practical implementation of Apple's Find My type stuff. Apple crowdsourced tracking network, good? Non-Apple crowdsourced tracking network, bad?