FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Does Elite Status Matter Anymore?
View Single Post
Old May 5, 2021, 5:42 pm
eponymous_coward
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by enviroian
As a Hilton diamond I think it's lost it's luster as the only benefit I've used were the lounges and they are all covid closed not for the foreseeable future. Designated parking spots for diamonds are always full and later check outs are almost impossible past 1 pm. Since earning Diamond status is pretty easy for anyone to obtain perhaps it's time to Kayak my future stays.
I haven't noticed late checkouts being impossible at Hilton as a newly minted Diamond for 2020, or parking spots. I like getting $500 in airfare rebates and hotel rooms on a $450 annual fee credit card, especially since in 2021, that's also $220 in dining out, takeout and delivery (plus in 2020 it was $250 in dining out, takeout and delivery instead of resort hotel rooms)... before I get to the sign up bonus, free hotel room good anywhere in the system.

I've always found most hotel executive lounges overrated, and the ones that aren't generally have room rates to match the quality of the lounge.

But, you know, you do you. Goodbye cruel hotel chain. I don't particularly have chain loyalty myself. I'm more interested in the pocketbook/service level/location all aligning up the way I'd like (to be honest HGIs/Hyatt Houses/Hyatt Places/Homewood Suites/Candlewood Suites can suit me just fine at the right price/location, and then I get a nice meal with my savings over a full service joint).