FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Oceana Santa Monica LXR {US-CA}
View Single Post
Old May 5, 2021, 4:48 pm
Eujeanie

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Troopers
I'm looking forward to our stay, hoping for the best but bracing for an experience similar to Kacee's. My GF is borderline high maintenance with strong opinions...and she previously worked in the upper management at several SF hotels, so I'll definitely know within the first day if we will be returning, lol. I haven't and won't tell her about Kacee's experience so she'll have expectations.

I am surprised about the amount of hesitation based on one FT single night review. Perhaps, I'm naïve but I'm leaning on the widely held opinion that this place is 5 stars.
No, I had made up my mind before reading Kacee's review. My biggest objection was location. I'm a toes in the sand person and while I'm sure the views are great (if you get at OV) it is a hike down to the sand. We used to live nearby and being atop the California Incline is not exactly "on the beach".

The Residence Inn in Marina del Rey is also not "on the beach" but it is a shorter, level walk, plus you have the Marina views of the yachts, and a guaranteed balcony at one third the amount of points (35K), although admittedly Marriott vs. Hilton points. Also all base rooms at RI's are quite spacious, you don't know what you're going to get at the Oceana. In terms of being a Hilton Diamond member using points we would not have paid the resort fee (RI does not have one), and both would have given us breakfast. Being seniors, and living in Oregon with all its homeless issues, we just feel more comfortable being in MdelR than SM. Just our choice.

I don't care about 5 star service because we are very low maintenance, check us in and leave us alone types.

Can't wait to read the reviews from all of you, of course there is always next time!