FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Oceana Santa Monica LXR {US-CA}
View Single Post
Old May 5, 2021, 1:31 pm
Eujeanie

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
I certainly hope you have a better one. I suspect a better room assignment would help quite a bit. It certainly colors my views on everything else when the upgrade from a bad room to a decent one is available but denied. IMO, one of the principal reasons to have status is so you don't get stuck with the worst room on the property when redeeming. And that's what happened here. Acknowledging that my Hilton status comes from credit card, which is part of the reason I didn't push harder at check-in.
Some luxury properties are very generous both with their upgrades and demeanor. Our last stay before Covid was at the Bentley in Miami - tremendous upgrade to a suite (was offered OV if we wanted to wait, it was 10 am so took the GV suite which we ended up loving). And I recall to this day how nice the girl was who checked us in and who we saw every day - greeted us, asked us how everything was, she could not have been more genuinely nice. And we are also Aspire Diamonds - it should not make any difference.

The other thing is that we are not the cool hipster target demographic of some of these places - we are 70s year old ordinary people and it didn't make a bit of difference at the Bentley. I bet it would matter a lot at the Oceana. I hope all here who are considering it DO have a wonderful stay, but I'm glad I decided against it.