FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Use of Infant Car Seats in UA's Polaris Seats, UA says No but ....
Old May 5, 2021, 12:03 pm
ctownflyer

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by clubord
I’ll ask my F/As about this when I fly later this afternoon. I’ve personally never run into such a situation where this has become an issue on the aircraft. Kudos to FT for the dialogue!

That being said, it does seem a bit overdramatic stating United is violating any FAA rules with this. All operations manual inclusions, amendments, procedures, etc. have to be approved by the FAA prior to becoming “company policy.”

I would be hard pressed to think that the FAA would sign off on a company policy that directly violates any CFR as is being claimed upthread.
"Company policy" led to Jan Brown telling Sylvia Tsao to put 22 month Evan Tsao on the ground. Sylvia confronted Jan after the UA232 crash and told her, “You told me to put my son on the floor, I did, and he’s gone.”

Sometimes in society we need to think critically. Does it really make sense to enforce a rule, based on the stated 18 degree angle which isn't applicable in half of Polaris seats, that will make your passengers less safe?

It's a shame that UA doesn't rectify this absurd policy and that FAs are caught in the middle, but c'est la vie.