FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Use of Infant Car Seats in UA's Polaris Seats, UA says No but ....
Old May 5, 2021, 10:02 am
fezzington

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by jjj8
No. I saw a blog post (plus comments below) saying that FAs do not enforce this policy and have a different official policy that is more lenient. Given that, plus the fact that the policy allows child seats on 757-200s with Diamond seats, it seems like they might also be allowed on 763s with Diamond seats. My question is: what experiences have people had with FAs enforcing this policy? (I mean, isn't so much of FT about what the airlines' effective policies are, not what's written on some web page?)
The posted policy on United.com matches what was in FA Manuals when I was flying (I have not seen an updated manual, but AFAIK, the restriction has not changed)

You *may* get a crew who is unaware, or is willing to look the other way, but do not count on anything other than the posted policy.

Originally Posted by sannmann
Flight attendants are not considered airmen for the purposes of the FAA. FAs do earn a Certificate of Demonstrated Proficiency; however, this is not considered an airman certification.
Enforcement action is possible against FAs (although exceedingly rare), which is what the posters were referring to.

The card issued to FAs is an Airmen's Certificate that says "Flight Attendant" and is run through the Airmen Certification Branch. I don't think the pedantry of "Airmen Certification" vs "Certificate of Demonstrated Proficiency that is printed on an Airmen's Certificate card and holders of whom are called airmen" is all that important, but I guess we are on FT.