FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Oceana Santa Monica LXR {US-CA}
View Single Post
Old May 4, 2021, 5:49 pm
Eujeanie

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Sisosig
This leaves me wondering. Isn't any employee in California supposed to get a decent pay these days? Like $15/hr in Santa Monica, as compared to $7.25 in many more backward states. So why still this 20% gratuity? Sounds like a petite too much for the services offered.
Sisosig, your profile does not say where you are from.

I can tell you, as a US citizen and a former waitress, that I never, ever concern myself with what the minimum wage is anywhere. Often times the minimum wage does not apply to servers, anyway, so the argument is irrelevant. Also, waiting on entitled A-holes carrying heavy trays and dishes and catering to their every need can be physical and emotional backbreaking work.

Often people will say, well they work an X hour shift so getting their pay PLUS tips, they have to be living a Royal's life. They are not. It's not a steady income, outside of the B/L/D rushes there is a lot of down time. And lots of jerks who don't tip.

I will say what I do object to, and it is in random places so not singling out California, but I object to a "service fee" where it is clearly stated that it does NOT go to your server. That upsets me. So I try to avoid those places.

But just to have someone bring me a meal, where I did not have to shop, cook, clean up, do the dishes...well worth 20% in my book.