FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Updated: REAL ID Deadline Delayed to May 7, 2025, Due to Lingering COVID-19 Impact
Old May 3, 2021, 3:48 pm
TWA884
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
But of course I have zero interest in paying now and then again in 2023 when my current license expires, a few weeks after the new and current RealID deadline.
If you're in Oregon, they specifically advise you to consider waiting until your renewal to apply for Real ID:
Frequently Asked Questions

Cost for Real ID

​What is the cost of a Real ID card?

Customers pay the standard fee​ for replacement, renewal or original issuance of a driver license or identification card, as well as an additional Real ID fee of $30. This fee is based on the cost of issuing Real ID cards and will be charged at every Real ID issuance.

I recently renewed my driver license. Will I need to pay again if I want to get a Real ID license before my next renewal?

If you choose to replace your current driver license with a Real ID driver license, you must apply in person at a DMV office. You will pay the fee for a replacement driver license, as well as the Real ID fee. Your card will keep the same expiration date. You may want to wait to apply for a Real ID until your next renewal, ​and use another acceptable document, like a passport, for boarding domestic flights.​