FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Updated: REAL ID Deadline Delayed to May 7, 2025, Due to Lingering COVID-19 Impact
Old May 3, 2021, 8:25 am
notquiteaff
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Ari
I believe in many states that unless it is 'time' to renew, they don't extend your license. In that case there wouldn't be much of a purpose unless you just want a gold star like a kindergartener.

I don't plan to apply until I have to go in person for some reason as there is really no point if you have a passport card or TT card.
I have, of course, a passport and also a passport card and a GE card. The primary reason for getting a RealID DL was to not have to change my domestic travel routine. My primary wallet always has my drivers license, and my carry-on has my GE card as a backup with spare credit cards. My passport and passport card stay safely at home unless I travel internationally. My modified routine would be to put the GE card in my primary wallet and put the passport card as a backup in the carry-on.

So yeah, admittedly not a strong reason. But making the trip to the DMV isn’t a big deal here; I pass it four times a week, and getting an appointment was easy. And I was okay with renewing after six years instead of eight.

But of course I have zero interest in paying now and then again in 2023 when my current license expires, a few weeks after the new and current RealID deadline.

Last edited by notquiteaff; May 3, 2021 at 8:32 am