FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Conrad Maldives Rangali Island {MDV}
View Single Post
Old Apr 27, 2021, 8:21 am
md125

Originally Posted by eab6287
Trying to book a trip for around Nov-Jan '21/22 and have a few questions I'm hoping someone can help with, thanks!
  • I understand from the thread that the WVs book quickly and clearly there isn't remaining availability left. When these are available, are they the Standard Room Reward / 95k points?
    • Since the cash upgrades are significantly less expensive from WV to other room types vs. BVs to other room types, I assume this is why folks are trying to book up the WVs quickly. Kind of odd that if WVs have a higher cash rate (as I would expect them to based on cheaper upgrades to other categories), they're charging the same number of points?
  • When there is availability (whether it's a WV or BV), what is the best way to book a combo of 4 nights on pts / 5th night free / 1 (or more) nights on reward certificates?
    • Should I just call and do the entire thing over the phone with Diamond desk? It sounds like if you book the 5 nights online first after confirming availability for 6+ nights, calling to then separately book the 1 or more reward certificate nights has caused some issues / required folks to cancel their 5 night points booking?
  • What are some typical redemption sweet spots for flights that folks have used from the US (NYC)? Having some trouble finding business award availability at all really through United (for Turkish). There are some dates w/ reasonable rates for business, but typically they are only business for the US to Europe leg and then economy for the long leg into MLE
To a couple of your points:
  • WVs, when available, are the same 95K/night as BVs. And yes, the upgrade to better rooms is cheaper from a WV.
  • I used American miles on Qatar from NYC via Doha in QSuites. 70K pp each way, there is probably no better combination of quality and cost (in miles). If you have United miles, you are probably limited to what you can find on the UA web site, but you may get some better options if you also have a Chase card or United status (at least on the first leg which can be on United metal).