FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AS' Membership in the oneworld Alliance - Benefits, Policies and Problems
Old Apr 24, 2021, 2:38 pm
Flying for Fun

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by myleguy
I was hoping to book an award DEN to LIM on Latam and AA. I called and eventually transferred to partner desk and was told this would not be valid (as was the case prior to joining oneworld). Seems like they should allow awards on multiple oneworld partners without AS segments.
I would think that would be in the works, at least for oneworld. LA is an AS Partner and no longer in the oneworld alliance so that may preclude a mixed carrier (non AS) redemption on AS. Redemptions on all oneworld alliance carriers will come later in the year. At that time, I hope to see oneworld awards as well as RTW/Circle awards using Mileage Plan miles on multiple oneworld carriers. It should also open up redemptions to all of the alliance member's network not just to a subset that touch North America or terminate in HKG. For example, booking QF SYD-AKL (now only available with an award starting in North America), QF SYD-HKG, CX ICN-SIN, (currently 2 awards, ICN-HKG & HKG-SIN since all Inter-Asia Flights on CX terminate in HKG) BA LHR-DXB or QR MLE-PER/MEL/SYD/SIN...

Of course, what the redemptions will cost in MP Miles and if stopovers will still be permitted is unknown at this time.

In the interim, AS will include flights to the LA gateway. MCO, JFK & LAX are all served by AS. However, MIA is not. I would see if you can do an AS open jaw, through or stopover, AS into FLL & LA MIA-LIM. The other option would be a revenue flight to the gateway if flying North to go South isn't appealing.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Apr 24, 2021 at 2:54 pm