FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]
Old Apr 22, 2021, 2:23 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by happychic
In my case I would like to use FFC 2.0 for a different flight in the fall, LAX-CLE. P2 will be flying on his own LAX-BOS. Will we both be deducting from the same "pool" of FFC 2.0? I don't expect to fly Premium Plus, probably just Economy Plus, so I am guessing the fare for each leg will be lower. Do we have to use the FFC 2.0 pool in one go, or can we use it like an unused credit towards future UA flights?
Those are two good questions. This product is new -- it started showing up this month -- and I don't know that we have those answers yet. It appears to work like unused credit toward future flights that can be used repeatedly until exhausted, but I can't swear to that, and I can't find an answer to that, one way or the other, on United's page about it: https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/travel/credit.html

Here's what I think would happen:

1 - After you cancel your flight, you'll have FFC v1.0, joined together on one itinerary.
2 - Your first flight change, if the new fare is lower, will generate FFC v2.0 for each of you.
3 - If you're each going to different destinations on that first trip, you'll need to split the reservation, which is straightforward.
4 - If you're each going to different destinations on the second trip, you will apply the FFC v2.0 during the purchase process.

The terms and conditions for FFC v2.0 say that it's non-transferrable, and it appears to be intended for use by the original traveler (so you'd use yours for your ticket, and P2 would use his for his ticket). However, in the UI, it's not entirely clear whether or not that's actually true.

I apologize for the vagueness of these answers; we're all still learning. I have an FFC v2.0 voucher in my account, but (a) I was the only traveler and (b) it's small enough that I expect it'll be used in its entirety on my next ticket.

I suspect more reports will roll in over the next month or two, as more people get FFC v2.0 and use it.