FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2021]
Old Apr 21, 2021, 9:37 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by happychic
I bought a pair of United Premium Plus tickets for JFK-LAX back, paid with TravelBank from P2's account + remainder put on credit card. I think these are better known as Economy Plus tickets.
Premium Plus and Economy Plus are two different products. Premium Plus is a separate class of service with its own type of seat. Economy Plus is a regular economy seat but with extra legroom.

It matters for the purpose of this discussion, because Economy Plus seat selection fees are refundable.

* Can I ask for a refund back to TravelBank and my credit card (original methods of payment)?
Nonrefundable tickets cannot be refunded to the original form of payment unless there's a qualifying reason, such as a UA schedule change that was inconvenient enough (two-hour change in departure or arrival time).

* If not, would they all go back to my TravelBank or something similar? When would I have to use it by?
You'd get Future Flight Credit that can be used by the original passengers. I believe the current restriction is that you must fly by one year from the original purchase date.

* If I can only change my itinerary and not get a refund, do I have to fly JFK-LAX route or can I use the credit as I see fit later?
If you haven't flown any part of the ticket, you should b able to use it as you see fit, except that you will likely not be able to use it for a Basic Economy seat (United's "no-frills" fare that doesn't include a carry-on or seat selection).

* Does P2 have to call in? Can I do this online?
It can be done online. P2 does not need to call; anyone with the PNR and last name of one of the travelers can make these changes.