FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How many hours to arrive before international flight (at CUN)?
Old Apr 21, 2021, 12:32 am
chrisny2

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by jerry90210
I know people always say 3 hours. I use to do that back then and almost always I felt like it was way too early. But when you need to make sure you are fully checked in with the attendent no more than one hour before your flight departs right? I remember the last few times I got to airport like 2.5 hours before and it was plenty of time. I think once I got there 2 hours before and it was sort of cutting it close. I got to assume the biggest thing is... will there be a huge line at the airline when you get there right? I rarely recalled waiting in line to check in... taking more than say 35 minutes. I think once it might been a bit longer than that... but typically for international flights, rarely is that the case right? Have people waited to check in... and wait say an hour on the line?

If it matters, im leaving cancun airport with American Airlines back to the US. Thanks.
Cancun is pretty busy these days as one of the major international tourism destinations for U.S. travelers without Mexican COVID travel restrictions. There is a health questionnaire and sometimes their security screening is slow. I would recommend 2.5 hours for AA at CUN in the current climate if flying economy without premium status. You could arrive a little later if flying business class. (Day of the week also matters with regard to crowds.)