FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Grand Wailea, A Waldorf Astoria Resort {US-HI}
Old Apr 20, 2021, 12:44 pm
UsernameChuck

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold - cheapass economy flyer!
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
if your kids will like a couple of short-ish hikes to some waterfalls along the way, then you should do a day trip to Hana with them. It's a no-brainer if it was just a couple's trip.
A quick jaunt to a cruise out to Molokini (using your car to go to and from the docks), maybe a SINGLE night out to eat driving elsewhere, and your round trip to and from OGG, it seems by my math you'd EASILY break even, at worst, having a car or not having one. In that case, or if it was even close, I'd get the car, but that's just me.
Thanks for much for helping me think this through. My question initially was: how would time ideally be split between the GW property (and the areas right around it) and the rest of Maui. I think the answer for us will be: mostly on GW, but with a day or two to explore the island. I've found that when I don't have a car, it forces me to walk, and I see places differently. And it doesn't seem too hard to walk around GW. (For instance, I've heard good things about Monkeypod, it looks walkable - please tell me if that's wrong. I think there's also a NY style pizzeria that delivers.)

The answer for us, I think, will be to have a car for the last few nights, after we've nearly had our fill of GW - and if timing works out, I won't need a taxi to return to OGG.