FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - If seven or more years has passed, can get an initial spend bonus again?
Old Apr 19, 2021, 1:01 pm
Thunderroad
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question If seven or more years has passed, can get an initial spend bonus again?

I'm sure the information is here somewhere, but I've searched and come up empty. So...

It's been probably a dozen years or more since I applied for and received an Amex Gold, Business Gold or Business Platinum, and eight or ten since I canceled them. (I've had a Schwab Platinum, which is a personal card, for a number of years.) I'm under the impression that:

1. If it's been long enough (seven years?) since you had a given Amex card, you might drop off of its radar and still qualify for an initial spend bonus if you get the card again.
2. #1 is not official policy, but there have been anecdotal reports to that effect.
3. The way to know for sure is to apply online, and the Amex site will notify you whether you qualify for the bonus before you finalize the application.

Do I have that right? Thanks for any help.