FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Silver Seas COVID start up plan, rough draft
Old Apr 17, 2021, 1:36 pm
radonc1

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by SusanDK
I've just started looking at a possible cruise on a line that requires everyone to be vaccinated, so was looking at Silversea. They have some itineraries for later this year. How does this work if they will not have the included certified excursions until 2022? Are we not permitted off the ship unless we pay for an excursion?
How can you keep your ship free of the virus if you let cruisers off the ship in port unless they travel in a bubble?

And if you are packed into a bubble excursion, you are going to have to sign up for it and pay for it.

This is so tricky. The newer variants are more contagious which means you would need a more secure bubble. I just don't think that this is possible without destroying the joy of an excursion.

For me (and this is strictly a personal opinion), it would be better just to have protocols for dealing with Covid stricken patients. If we know how we are gong to handle the ill patient and the remainder of the passengers and crew when illness appears, then cruises will restart. The handling of this illness should be no different than how we use to deal with other infectious outbreaks on ships in the past. Assuming all are vaccinated (and up to date, with the oncoming booster season ), there should be little severe illness, if any, on board. So we are primarily dealing with spread.

This means we have to figure out how to isolate the test + patient, and how port authorities handle a ship with a test + case on board. I still have not heard details about those issues.

Tragically, at the rate things are going, I am very pessimistic about a traditional type of cruising experience restarting this year. Hope they prove me wrong