FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Check in to enjoy your elite benefits... just kidding!
Old Apr 14, 2021, 4:02 am
raehl311

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by porphyra
This is not unique to Marriott. This is the case with every major hotel brand and is not new. I am not sure why you expected any different.
I expected different when Marriott sent me an email telling me to check in to access my elite benefits.

I almost never book 3rd party for hotel rooms, but do sometimes for airlines and rental cars... neither of which preclude participating in the loyalty program for airline tickets or car rentals, so I'm surprised it is different for hotels.

Even *IF* this rate is not eligible for points/benefits, that doesn't preclude allowing me to add the reservation to my app to check in.

Originally Posted by anteater
Benefits are only available on eligible rates. I’ll let someone else chime in for what the Chase portal allows, but if you booked via a 3rd party on a rate that’s ineligible for benefits this is hardly Marriott’s fault.
The Chase travel portal runs through Expedia, which at least for airlines / rental cars books into retail rates, which is one of the upsides of using Chase points to book; you still get the program points you get with retail rates.

But I did just find in the Marriott T&C where 3rd party websites are excluded from qualifying rates. Guess I'll save my Chase points for airfare.

Regardless, Marriott sent me an email saying I would get elite benefits, and even though it's apparently not a qualifying rate, doesn't mean they can't associate the reservation with my account so I can check in online, especially when they send me an email asking me to do exactly that!

And Marriott shouldn't be sending me emails offering elite benefits if they aren't going to provide them!

Last edited by raehl311; Apr 14, 2021 at 4:11 am